Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tim Urban : Subtle, Sweet & Soulful Songwriter

I don't often look up Beatles covers, and I don't know why I don't. Whenever I do I find a great artist. Such was the case today when I came across Tim Urban doing a smooth and sweet cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Beatles). Tim took this classic, written primarily by Harrison, and turned into a soulful, almost Jason Mraz like song, which actually worked for me. And although I love Clapton's guitar work on the original work, I do appreciate Tim's take on the guitar part too. It's a much more subtle version overall, and I do think you'll like it. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fltqlu5dues

Great isn't it? Definitely one of those timeless songs that could probably be applied to any genre, and still sound good. I think I've heard reggae versions and country versions that sound incredible too. But what Tim did with this one was ever so subtle, yet remaining true to the original, which is what many people find essential when covering the Beatles. You can't go too far from the base or else you'll get lost. Nevertheless, Tim kept one foot on the original and stayed safe with this one.

I obviously clicked the "Subscribe" button to his channel, which I'd advise you to do as well, and checked him out on Facebook, which you can do by looking up his name. He's got a bunch of great covers, including one of "Hey There Delilah" (Plain White T's). Many of you may know it as that incredibly "overplayed" song back in 2006. In the song's defence, there is a reason that it's "overplayed". Tim does a classic rendition of this one, adding in his quirky and likeable tone. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOi3j9os_B4

Really nice. In a sense I like how Tim made the song more upbeat. Once again, it's a song that I feel would sound great in any genre. So, I guess Tim chooses his songs wisely. I can't quite put my finger on what he reminds me of in this one but there's definitely a real great sound in his voice. Definitely a voice I'd like to hear doing originals, which I'll get to.

He's got a bunch available on his channel, and if you liked his covers, you should really take some time to listen to the originals. His latest one that caught my ear is called "Tears for Halellujah". A soft, Damien Rice like song that is easily likeable. Tim's voice really shines in this one. Sometimes we get so caught up in an artist's covers that we forget to check out their originals, and that is usually whether their light shines brightest. So take your time with this guy. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ooDrC-gAeQ

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment