Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Kari : Lost Gem

Have you ever lost something and then been really glad when you found it again? Same here with this Youtube artist. I came across her a year ago and absolutely loved her raw and realistic approach to music. A cover of Aerosmith's "Cryin'" left me realising that I should cover it too and her other covers and originals really drew me into her world. Strangely, I didn't subscribe to her channel or favourite the videos and lost track of her. For a couple months, I looked around Youtube and just couldn't find this girl whose very raw videos had blown my mind. But, a couple weeks ago, while editing the details of my "Cryin'" cover, I saw hers in the recommendations. I immediately clicked on it, and subscribed to her channel. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find her Facebook page and have no idea what she's up to now. She's not the most polished artist out there, but she's one that struck a chord in my emotions. So, have a listen to her cover of "Cryin'" (Aerosmith).


Stunning, isn't it? I guess what drew me to her cover of the song was the honesty with which she sang it. She doesn't focus on the notes, or on "doing it right". She really does it right by putting her soul into the song. The shakiness in her voice at points just thrills me because it gives the song such a strong emotion, as well as a different sound to the original.

So, now that you've listened to a cover by Kari, don't make the same mistake as me. Subscribe to her channel and don't forget her. I do hope I manage to find her Facebook page, or urge her to create one if she doesn't have one. In any case, for now, we have her videos. She's got a bunch of great covers, including a cover of "Here Without You" (3 Doors Down). Once again, Kari gives us her heart and soul. Some may frown upon the video/audio quality or the performance itself. But, to those who do "frown upon it", may I just say, did you frown upon Kurt Cobain's home recordings and home covers? It's not all about the quality of the equipment or how correct it is. It's about the feeling. So, get a feel for this stunningly raw cover.


Great, isn't it? Kari really brings this song down to earth in a setting that almost resembles that in the music video. I personally appreciated it and hope you found you some inspiration and possibly, motivation out of it. She's the kind of artist that makes one think "Well, if she can do it, I can do it!" And that's just brilliant. I mean, it's great if you've got a lot of fancy equipment but, it can be a bit intimidating. So, once again, this was brilliant.

And of course, she's got some fascinating originals that you may enjoy. One of them entitled "Sexual Fantasy" oozed with passion and reality. I could definitely imagine it being performed by a rock band with a fantastic bass line, but I'll let you hear for yourself. May I just remind you, don't forget to subscribe to Kari's Youtube channel (k1soccerplyr15). Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.


Alex Hamel

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex,

    This is Kari (artist you wrote about). Thanks for this article! Its awesome!!! I posted it on my facebook music page - https://www.facebook.com/karitodesco - like it if you want! Again, great writing and I love all your other blogs for sure.

    ReplyDelete