Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chad Price : Sweet Soulful Sounds

I came across today's fantastic artist when looking up covers of The Mamas & The Papas' classic "California Dreamin'". I used to cover it at my gigs and somehow, I let it slip away over time, so I'd better get back to doing it. When you don't write out set lists, songs tend to get away from you. But anyways, let's get to Chad Price, whose unique cover of "California Dreamin'" really got to me. He doesn't give it the classic feel it has, but almost touches upon a Otis Redding vibe, or a Stevie Wonder feel, with his smooth, addictive vocals. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOKphLBjVlA

Sweet sound. He's definitely got a soulful side to him and actually reminds me of Prince, when he does his unplugged thing, now that I listened to the cover again. He's skilful with the guitar too, which only enhances the performance which seems to glide along, effortlessly. I'm sure it's taken him a good deal of practice to get his performances so polished, but there's no doubt that Chad's an incredibly talented man. 

So, I obviously subscribed to Chad's Youtube channel and "liked" his Facebook page, which I'm not done looking through yet. I urge you to do the same, because this guy is really worth it. He updates frequently, works hard at what he loves an does it well. He's got a good deal of brilliant covers you can check out, which span across a few eras and genres, which is great. One cover that I was happy to find was of Michael Jackson's "Rock With You." Once again, Chad's taken the song in his own unique direction and calms it down to what actually reminds me of John Legend (minus the piano/plus the guitar). Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KVcGuO5io

Great track. I certainly loved the way Chad did it, and am definitely going to revisit the whole "Off The Wall" album again now. It's fascinating how Chad took the song in such a different direction, but maintained the same soulful base. I definitely like the way Chad does his covers and will be going through his other covers when I'm done with this. He's got a blend of sounds in his voice and is an extremely talented guitarist (which I say confidently after seeing his cover of "Superstition" (Stevie Wonder). I do admit I was hoping I could hear him sing the song, but the instrumental surprised me and I loved it!

And great covers aside, Chad's got some fantastic originals that you might dig too! I found myself listening to his bright and sunny song entitled "Another Day." It's definitely a feel good song, with hints of John Mayer, John Legend and Stevie Wonder entwined in its roots. But influences aside, Chad's got something unique that I'm loving. So, once again, if you dig Chad's sound, don't forget to subscribe to his channel. I know you won't regret it! Enjoy his song too. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgqJ7IL4I1g

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment