Saturday, April 27, 2013

Caitlin Hart : Slows Time With Her Melodic Voice

Well, I'm getting ready to go soundcheck for a gig here in Mykonos tonight and am considering playing "Locked Out Of Heaven" (Bruno Mars) live for the first time. I've already done a cover on Youtube but doing a tune in front of people is always a revelation. I'll find out if people truly like it or not. So, as I've done before I looked around Youtube for more covers of the song when I come across a stunning one that I hadn't heard yet. Strangely, I hadn't come across any of this artist's covers so far and felt as if I came across a pot of gold. Caitlin Hart is her name, and her cover is sweet and subtle. She plays piano and sings and almost brings it to a "When I Was Your Man" (Bruno Mars) feel by doing so. I loved it and would love to give it a shot too. Check out this smooth cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz3y7lRZvVY

Beautiful, isn't it? There's something incredibly particular about Caitlin's voice, which in a sense contrasts the majestic piano sound. A very honest, down to earth sound comes out of her voice, and I just love how it sounds uttering those honest, down to earth lyrics written by Bruno himself. I'll definitely be coming back to listen to it again later. As I've said before, I love to hear a song originally sung by a male, being sung by a female and vice versa. It gives the song a different perspective.

Moving along, I've already subscribed to Caitlin's Youtube channel and would definitely urge you to do the same. She's also got a Facebook page where she posts updates, so if you feel like it, it would be cool if you went ahead and "liked" that. She's got a bunch of cool covers online and one that caught my ear was of The Lumineers "Ho Hey", which is every so catchy anyways. Once again, Caitlin's on piano but is accompanied by her friend Jake on guitar and vocals too. Beautiful one once again. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vg1yBq8sb8

Loving that collaboration. Together they create a fantastic harmony and the guitar and piano seem to intertwine perfectly. It seems to be one of those songs that nearly anyone can sing with personality and feeling. But, Caitlin and Jake added their own twist to it, which I love. Jake, on guitar and vocals seems the Lumineers' touch to the song but Caitlin slows it down, literally and figuratively through her mesmerising, melodic voice.

So, aside from those beautiful covers, and so many more available on Caitlin's channel, she's got some stunning originals. One that I love is called "7 Minutes" and tells a fantastic little story, accompanied by a cartoon, which is also beautifully done. There's a Jason Mraz/John Mayer feeling with this one, through the story, as well as the silly, happy tune which could brighten anyone's day. Once again, don't forget to subscribe to Caitlin's Youtube channel and "like" her Facebook page. She's a brilliant one to look out for. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10PBekTNXoo

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment