Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Meagan Rae Mitchell : A Certain Charm

Since I arrived in Mykonos a couple days ago I've been spending time looking up covers with my fellow music connoisseur Brenda. I mean, this woman introduced me to the Rolling Stones, so I hold her opinion quite highly. She had a good find this morning and introduced me to the very charming Meagan Rae Mitchell. I was quite thoughtful about writing about her since she's not the most active Youtube artist out there, but she's definitely got something to offer. Watching her videos, I myself got dragged into the melody. She's got some sweet covers and some really breathtaking originals. The first of her videos that I watched was a cover of "Let Her Cry" (Hootie & The Blowfish). The accent definitely infuses the cover with a certain charm, and her smooth vocal only enhances it. I never heard the song done quite like that and I admit I really like it. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtleqBBD5Ls

Stunning cover! Definitely a song I'll be wanting to cover now. For some odd reason, this cover appeals to me so much more than the overproduced, "over the top" covers out there. It's simple, easy to listen to and the kind of the thing I like to play on repeat. I'm really glad Brenda came across Meagan who is seeming to be a very talented artist.

After subscribing to her channel and "liking" her Facebook page (like you should have done by now), I had a look through her other videos. The second one I listened to was a cover of Miranda Lambert's "White Liar". I admit I'm not too familiar with the song, but really liked Meagan's cover of it. Starting off with her quiet introduction, I wasn't expecting her to come in with her sharp and booming voice over the tapping of her guitar. She's definitely the kind of artist that pulls you in immediately, and keeps your attention. Check out this truly incredible cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdRJIz0L98

Really great sound there. I'm quite curious what guitar she's using there. It looks quite slim and has very thin, but easy sound that matches up neatly with her sharp vocals. I'm also unsure what she's recording with but it seems fairly simple. I'd certainly want to hear what she sounds like in a studio. I have a feeling there are a lot of beautiful details in her voice that we're missing out on. But, honestly, her sound is incredibly touching and very sweet. 

Now, regarding her originals, the first I had a listen to was entitled "The Cheatin' Kind". Following the theme set previously with "White Liar", it's a bittersweet lyric that is hidden behind Meagan sweet vocals. I honestly like the original more than the two covers and will definitely be listening to the rest on her channel. I suggest you do the same after listening to this little masterpiece and don't forget to subscribe to her channel & "like" her Facebook page. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiJvvk3LfQA

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment