Saturday, April 6, 2013

Martin Way : Saucerful Of Mysteries

So, I was wondering who to write about today when I came across the incredibly skilful Martin Way. Between the covers of "Angie" (Rolling Stones) was Martin Way's dark and shadowy cover which may not appeal to the eye but will definitely appeal to anyone's ear. Finger-picking his stunning acoustic, Martin's voice creeps out from under his hat in a fashion that gives the song a very different appeal. It's definitely not a "classic" cover but an "alternative" cover, that would still probably please any Rolling Stones fan's ears. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVthqewRVrM

Great wasn't it? I really appreciated the intricate guitar line under his honest approach to Jagger's tricky vocals. Being a sloppy guitarist myself I truly do appreciate a good guitar player, particularly on acoustic. It's ever so true that the acoustic guitar doesn't lie. And quite honestly, I never expected to hear such a great sound from a Crafter guitar. Martin's definitely a fantastic advertisement for the guitar. Curious what strings he uses too. Plays such an important role overall.

Looking through Martin's Youtube channel I discovered a bunch of stunning covers, of really good songs. I do love it when I come across a treasure chest like this one. One that stood out to me was a cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus". I was thinking of covering the song at one of my live shows, as I've covered Shocking Blue's "Love Buzz" previously and love most of their stuff. He adds his own twist the song and just rips it up with his flashy guitar licks. One thing's for sure...I wish this guy played guitar with me. He's got a fantastic taste and a fantastic skill to match. Check out this truly mind-blowing cover of Shocking Blue's masterpiece (with a melody has been copied time and time again)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASvzicS1bE

Skills! What more can I say? This guy knows his guitar and gets everything he wants out of it (although I'm pretty sure he'd disagree). Most great guitarists and artists always feel there is that bit beyond they can go. And may I just say that I do appreciate the fact that he notes the year of the song's release below the video. I'm always interested in that sort of thing and wish more Youtube artists would do it. It takes time, consideration and effort to create these videos and paying a little respect to these artists isn't a hard thing to do.

By now, you've probably subscribed to Martin Way's channel but let me remind you to "like" his Facebook page for updates. He's Australian apparently, and one to look out for obviously. Aside from his groundbreaking acoustic guitar skills, he's got some songwriting talent on him too! Like a lot of artists out there (myself included), he's got a song with the word "Moon" in the title. The full title is "Hold The Moon", and it's a saucerful of mysteries. Have a listen and support singer/songwriters out there! Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCVQchb0BI

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment