Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ana Free : Another Youtube Success

I've been thinking about writing about this girl for a while now. She's been massively successful with her Youtube covers, and now with her originals. I first came across her a couple years ago while browsing the web for covers of "Angie" (Rolling Stones). Hers is a cover dating back to 2007, when Youtube was still in its early youth. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't thrilled with her guitar playing but I could not deny that her voice was angelic. And with a face to match up with her stunning guitar, it seemed to me that she was already on the road to becoming a star. Check out that early cover that drew me to subscribe to Ana's channel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsG0AgsN4LU

It's good isn't it? It's quite different from the original, and almost takes on an R&B feel, which definitely works for the song. And considering how intricate the guitar line is, she definitely did a good job with it. I always feel that guitarists/singers have to split their attention, and that really shows how good of a performer Ana is. I also have to say the song takes on a whole new energy when sang by a woman. Quite interesting indeed.

Now that you had a listen to that, let me share a more recent video of hers with you. In February she uploaded a cover of "Good Time" (Owl City ft. Carly Rae Jepsen). Though I'm not very familiar with Owl City, I found the cover quite fun. I have to admit I prefer Ana playing ukulele, somehow it suits her own aura more than the guitar. It matches up with her voice too. I believe it's a "Makala", which is brilliant. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mncnxaBiU

Sweet, wasn't it? I'm not too sure where she was in that video but it seemed just right for the song. Ana brings a certain raw, and stripped down feeling to all her covers, which I really appreciate. She doesn't hide behind crazy effects, auto tune, video effects, and so on. She keeps it simple and I think that's part of the reason so many people follow her.

Now, aside from those sweet covers, I recently had a listen to some of her originals. I have to admit, that is the reason I wrote about her. She's got some originals that I really didn't expect. It's almost as if she's got that "pop" feel while maintaining her hipster sort of approach to music. She's already massively successful, with over thirty three million views on Youtube and I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps getting bigger (metaphorically). So, have a listen to this catch original called "Electrical Storm" and don't forget to subscribe to Ana's channel and "like" her Facebook page for updates. Just a little reminder, you can also keep up to date with "Youtube's Underground Music Scene" by checking the Facebook page or following the blog by e-mail (just enter your e-mail at the top right). Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdFyut6WoKk

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment