Friday, April 26, 2013

Jenna Anne : Sweet Singer/Songwriter

So, earlier today I decided to take a stab at "Titanium" (David Guetta). I definitely had a good time doing it, since it's not the kind of song I usually do. And after I got it uploaded to Youtube, I had the pleasure of going through hundreds of covers of the song. A few I had seen before but some were new to me, and included a really innovative cover by Jenna Anne. She takes on the song in an almost Bon Iver fashion, keeping it very folky and infusing it with her heart and soul. I think I'd call it my favourite cover of the song I've come across so far and keep clicking "Repeat" when it ends. What do you think? Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7JQclemGFI

Stunning, raw and stripped down. Jenna took such a highly produced song and took it to an almost Dylanesque edge, which I love. So many times, songs sound better to me raw and stripped down, and this is the case with "Titanium". I do love it when I hear a real strong vocal on that chorus bit, but Jenna's approach was so unexpected, that I loved it. Her strength is in her restraint and relaxed approach. Definitely a great one!

Now, I definitely subscribed to her channel and "liked" her Facebook page, which I urge you to do too, if you enjoy her sound. She's got a good deal of covers up, as well as some beautiful originals, which I'll get too later. Going through her covers, I found myself listening to covers she uploaded about three years ago. It's almost as if you're listening to a different person really. The base is the same, but Jenna's definitely the evolving type, which I love. A cover of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", with Jenna on keyboards, showcases even more talent. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzyMyeeANg

Great stuff! Although Jenna pushes a lot more with her vocals here, she's got the same apprehensive approach that gives her covers such an edgy feel. It's quite theatrical really, and I think that Lady Gaga is the perfect cover for her in that sense (though all her other covers are quite impressive). What I was thinking when listening to her was that she's not concerned with "perfection" but rather putting through her emotion and enjoying the feel of it. I could be terribly wrong, but that emotional approach that is consistent in all Jenna's covers really pulls me.

Now, as I mentioned previously, Jenna's got a bunch of stunning little originals that I'm just going through. The first one that I listened to really appealed to me, and it's entitled "How Bright The Fire". This one's from the "Titanium" era of Jenna's videos and is subtle, simple and stunning. It's almost reminiscent of some of Jason Mraz's ballads, which I adore. So, if you love Jason Mraz, this is a must for you. If not, give it a chance, 'cause she's really worth it. Great artist here. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGmMCHM82GQ

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment