Thursday, April 4, 2013

Stefi Stathopoulou : Little Greek Muse

Well, I enjoyed taking a "walk on the wild side" the other day and writing about Marie Martins, the Brazilian Youtube star, so today, I thought I'd write about someone else, a little different from my usual subjects. She's a Greek artist, who I came across while looking for a place to stay with Barbara, in Trikala. Trikala was the place I stayed for the past few months, and left from a couple days ago. We didn't end up taking the apartment she was moving out of, but we did remain friends. I remember walking up the narrow staircase with Barbara and hearing Stefi's folky guitar sound and mystical vocals. So, before I even met the girl, I was hearing the muffled sounds of her music, and I certainly liked it. But after hearing her songs, all of which are available on Youtube, I like her quality even more. She's definitely not a typical Greek artist, as she takes on an almost Dylanesque approach to writing lyrics. Autobiographical, heartfelt and poetic. Here's her original that is a must for Greek enthusiasts and any folk music lover. Was the first I heard and probably her most popular to date!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8gDjRyQZI

Fascinating sound and really deep lyrics. It's not the sort of thing I sit around and listen to everyday but I admit, of most Greek artists i've heard so far, Stefi rates in my top 2, the other being the incredibly successful Alkinoos Ioannidis. I can definitely draw a line between the two as they tell a story and have that "wobbly" vocal sound that signifies truly frustrating, or in some cases, passionate, emotion.

By now, you've probably subscribed to Stefi's channel, if that's the sort of thing you're into, or if you're looking for some ethnic inspiration. I've often wondered why she hasn't uploaded any videos of herself, rather than the picture/music format but hopefully that comes in time. Similarly I've wondered, why she hasn't set up a Facebook fan page, but...I suspect that should come soon too. Nevertheless, here's another stunning little acoustic original put together and performed by Stefi. Have a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxti8CMjFy8

A lot lighter in feeling than the previous one, but I dig it just as much. It's got a circular feeling to it and a bittersweet touch added by Stefi's incredibly particular voice. For those who are not familiar with Greek, the title translates directly to "Eros Is Strange". Having chatted with Stefi frequently, she has shared with me that all her lyrics are autobiographical. But, what I admire most about her writing style is that fact that she writes in a way that is easy to relate to. I myself base everything I do on emotions, leaving logic behind, but I do appreciate her very thoughtful approach to lyrics.

Now, I'm curious what you thought of this one, since it's a little different from the usual, but that's what Youtube's Underground Music Scene is all about. If you liked it and would like to hear more from ethnic artists, do let me know, and if you have any recommendations that are great, I'd love to write about them here. If not, well, I'll keep it to a minimum for your sake, or possibly create a separate blog for the ethnic artists I come across. Here's the last of Stefi's uploads, and a song thats has grown on me. Don't forget to to encourage her to create a Facebook page and feed us more of her passionate music. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGCZ-e_Fv4

Alex Hamel


No comments:

Post a Comment