Friday, April 19, 2013

Assembly Required : Acoustic Rockin' Duo

Since I brought up Phillip Phillips' "Home" in a post a couple days I decided to look around Youtube for covers of the song. There's actually tons of great covers out there but one that caught my ear was by a dynamic duo called Assembly Required. The duo is made up of Sam Hill and Simon Tester, although their Youtube videos make it sound as if there's some massive band playing behind them. I guess that's why I call them dynamic. They've got a certain presence, a certain electricity and a certain vibe that seems ideal for live performances. I honestly, would love to see these guys live. But for now, I'll be listening to their cover of "Home" (Phillip Phillips) with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmy3l4TiO4

Okay, for one that audio/video quality is stunning. These guys are incredibly talented and whoever's doing that audio/video recording and editing is a genius too. Too many times we listen to something, or watch something and forget how much lies beneath the surface of the creation. And Assembly Required must have a great team of people working on their stuff. Either that, or they work day and night on these videos. In any case, I'm stunned by how much effort they put into this.

So, if you enjoyed that, make sure you subscribe to their channel and "like" their Facebook page for updates. They upload stuff quite frequently and most, if not all of it, is made of true quality. A cover that I really loved was of Dolly Parton's "Jolene". It's such a classic track that so many people have made their own. And Assembly Required do just that. They give it that folky rock edge but maintain the smoothness of the song by inviting Charlotte Millman to sing on the track. She's definitely got a smooth and floaty sort of voice that contradicts and compliments Sam's rocky timber. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-YsOgEEwk

I love that one. It's almost as if someone blended the original with the version by The White Stripes and threw in a little Lana del Ray sound. Really unique, and a great take on a classic song. Once again Sam's vocals broke the sound barrier on that one and not enough can be said about Simon who seems to be heavenly back up for any singer. I know I've had my fair share of arguments working with people but it seems that these two have their chemistry just right. I like it, and I'm sure you're loving it too.

Now, if you liked...or loved, their covers, you should definitely look into their originals on iTunes. You can also have a listen on Youtube, and I suggest you listen to a song entitled "Hold Me". Simon's guitar playing at the beginning is almost reminiscent of Pearl Jam unplugged, but Sam's voice gives it a different edge (though I do feel a real acoustic grunge vibe from them). It's light and it's heavy, and there's something in there for everyone. Have a listen and don't forget to subscribe to the guys. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S78VMOhzwo

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment