Saturday, February 16, 2013

The MonaLisa Twins: Under Special Request

This melodic Austrian duo came to my attention a couple weeks ago, thanks to a devoted reader of the blog, Christomir. They're a sweet duo and for any Beatles fan, they're a must. The first of their videos that I took the time to listen to was a cover of "Blackbird"(Beatles). To be perfectly honest was caught my attention more than the cover of the song itself was how artistically creative and crystal clear the video was. I must say, I think Sir Paul McCartney would be proud. Have a listen and share your thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmqlYEI1tx0

Christomir warned me about their heavy accent however I think that it only enhances the originality of their sound. Any non-native English speakers singing English songs bring a certain essence of their own sound and I find that ever so admirable. I asked Christomir about the sound quality and the superb quality of the videos and I was told that they use their father's studio and thus the excellent quality. Considering what a massive fan I have been of sound quality/video quality, it is such a privilege to hear the details of their covers and originals. If only all artists had the same opportunity they have had. 

The next song I came to listen to was a cover of yet another Beatles track "Eight Days A Week". Once again the girls seemed to be on some exotic trip (to Australia, I believe). What's better than travelling with a guitar and a sibling in the musical world. Beyond the melodic harmonies they create, reminiscent of their idols, the Beatles, what comes through to me is a sense of gratitude for the privileges they've had to immerse themselves in the world of music, and the world itself, apparently. Check out their cover of"Eight Days A Week", and lose yourself in the fantastic scenery, as well as the fantastically cute girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtl2qg4d6w

Under the influence (of the sun), and in the musical fusion of each other, the two have gone on to create original pieces of musical art that any old 60's fan could absolutely fall in love with. The original of theirs, that stands out to me is a song called "The Boy Is Mine". I was suspicious that it might have been inspired by the Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney collaboration "The Girl Is Mine", but it is truly original. Christomir feels they are a female reincarnation, which some might argue but I'll go further and say, I hope they continue to create original music and have as much of a musical adventure as John, Paul, George and Ringo had "in their lives". Better to be original, than a cover band but there's nothing wrong with having strong, clear influences. Have a listen to "The Boy Is Mine" and drool over those hot harmonies the girls get going, accompanied by the rockin' Rickenbacker and Gretsch under their arms. And let's not forget the fantastic back up they get from the two boys on stage with them. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic youtube artist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAuhDjlAmM


Alex Hamel

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about them :D

    BTW, I can't be absolutely sure, but I think the twins play the drums and the bass themselves too; while those two guys only help them for the live gigs and they were only mimicking playing those two instruments in some of the shots for the video... But yeah, that's not so important. And it's true their dad helps them a lot too, which is a good thing :)

    Anyways, that video for "This Boy Is Mine" was quite simple (though still very good)... But the new video, for the beautiful folk-rock ballad "The Wide Wide Land" has been in post-production for a month and a half now and I can't wait to see it ^_^ If editing, adding effects etc. is taking so long, it must be a true masterpiece - like "Blackbird" x 10... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm, in fact, I can be absolutely sure about the drums - Mona plays those on the studio recordings - she is the "Ringo"... A blond Ringo..LOL I am only not sure about the bass, but yeah - it doesn't matter that much. What matters is the awesome sound and harmonies ^_^

    ReplyDelete