Monday, February 25, 2013

Jasmine Commerce: Heart & Soul

So, after writing yesterday's post I decided to sit on the porch of my hotel room here in Naples, Campania and write a song or two. With a view of the sea and of Mount Vesuvius in the distance, the inspiration is so strong. Well, I wrote a couple verses and ended the chorus with the lyrics "I'm on fire." I guess I subconsciously borrowed the line from the Bruce Springsteen track but it was purely based on the feeling I had at that moment. Nevertheless, I decided to listen to the song today and looked around Youtube for covers of the song. I found a couple "Atlantic City" (Bruce Springsteen) covers, a lot of "The River" (Bruce Springsteen) covers and a whole lot of other covers of his many hits. Fortunately, I came across a girl by the name of Jasmine, who sang "I'm On Fire", like she really meant it.

The video/audio quality isn't as high as one would want it to be but it almost contributes to the folk style that Jasmine emits. I felt as if I were listening to a completely different song. Bruce Springsteen has such a specific style and feeling, and a lot of artists I came across on youtube tried to impersonate the style, and even recreated his hairdo. That's quite alright, but I was impressed that Jasmine gave her own touch to the song. Both her eyes and her voice are gentle and understanding and give the impression that she really knows what she's singing about. Anyways, check out this fabulous cover and close your eyes, if you can, to hear an echoing voice reminiscent of Norah Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8yeT6__mQ

Now if that doesn't satisfy your soul, I don't know what will. I obviously subscribed immediately and went through her other covers and originals. I was very impressed with what she had uploaded and was fascinated with her selections. I never expected that someone who could cover a Bruce Springsteen cover so well could also give a great performance of Radiohead's "No Surprises". Anyone can sing the songs nicely, or play the guitar smoothly but Jasmine lets her emotions bleed into the song, which I love. And yet again, I feel a certain vibe around Jasmine that is very reminiscent of Norah Jones, but adds in a more "indie" element. Have a listen to her cover of "No Surprises" and get lost in the melody created by Jasmine on guitar/vocals and Darren on piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIFPoOZCwQA

Great stuff. Certain musicians might frown upon her choices and advise Jasmine to stick to one area of music but I feel that Jasmine could probably cover anything and make it sound like her. Whether it were Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead or even some commercial pop song that's pumping out of club speakers today. I don't know much about Jasmine herself but she has a Facebook page that I just checked out (Jasmine Commerce) and I'm hoping she uploads some more videos soon. She seems to be the quiet type, who uploads videos once in a while, and not consistently, which is alright in her case. It fits her style.

I listened to a couple of her originals, which are great, and one that stood out to me is called "Meant To Be". There's a little snippet of the song on youtube and it really shows the influences shining through her own creativity. There is a mention of certain influences on her Facebook page, which you might want to check out, but for now, I'll leave you with the wonderful original of hers that you might fall in love with! It's a great little tune. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XycPe7Ht0

Alex Hamel

2 comments:

  1. She is one of my best friends...truly a phenomenal musician and human being! Great review of her work. I really appreciated her amazing cover of Beat It by Michael Jackson - talk about putting her own spin on a song you'd never expect from a folk, indie kind of girl! And she does a beautiful ballad from Charlotte's Web - Mother Earth and Father Time...again, really cool that she can perform for younger audiences, too. She has such a tenderness stemming from her Christian faith and a totally silly, mischievous side stemming from life with 3 brothers! Interestingly, she also performs in nursing homes and can totally nail old standards from yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input Marika. I'm very glad I came across Jasmine. She's got such a soothing, yet powerful sound. I'm sure she's a fantastically interesting person, as that goes hand in hand with the kind of talent that she has. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find her cover of "Beat It". If you have a link to it that you could share, please feel free to post it here! Thanks again.

      A.H.

      Delete