Monday, February 4, 2013

Danny McEvoy: Song Encyclopaedia

I only came across Danny McEvoy in 2012 when surfing across the sea of covers on youtube. I was looking up "Strawberry Fields Forever" (Beatles) covers and found a man in bright blues pants, holding a magnificent red guitar. He was wearing other stuff too obviously, but you tell me, don't they stand out?


I had trouble deciding if I liked the cover or not. I knew I liked it, but I wasn't quite sure why. His voice was alright, his guitar playing was good but it wasn't as fancy or "polished" as other things I'd seen on youtube that day. Well, I can tell you why I like all his Beatles covers now. Because of who he is. He just fits the character of the singer/songwriter struggling to bring good music to the world. And it comes out through his respect for the music, the way he stays true to the tunes and how he nearly always responds to comments on his videos. He's a true artist and carries all the responsibilities of the word "artist". 

I can't write about Danny without commenting on the fact that he has uploaded 1703 videos to youtube and within those, has covered every single Beatles tracks. He covered all top 3's of the 60's in 2011, 70's in 2012 and is currently tackling the 80's. He works hard for the music and I think you should subscribe to his youtube channel (TheWalrusWasDanny) and like his Facebook page now!


I heard an original of his the other day on youtube. It's called "The Invisible Man", and it must be from one of his gigs. He's a complete character and the song is bittersweet in the sense that its honest. Check it out here! 


And that's Danny. An inspiration to young artists who love good music and to many more. Here's to another 1703 youtube videos!

Alex Hamel

4 comments:

  1. Danny is my good friend but only through YouTube.. Thanks for featuring him and his great Invisible Man song. I covered it and Danny just raved about my cover. YouTube is the best......when you don't accidentally get attacked by a penurious publisher who yanks your cover without the courtesy of a warning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased to hear that you have discovered the extraordinary talent that is Danny McEvoy! He is such a great artist! He was a part of two groups in the past that I am aware of:

    The Deputy Sheriffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVJA0grkp_s

    and

    England Under Snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUPHPGrpElc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these groups with me! He certainly is a fantastic artist. Youtube is a great tool nowadays and I completely understand what you mean about covers disappearing with no explanation. It's happened to me once, but I can't remember what song it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoy listening when I come across him busking, with the added bonus that he was my secondary school art teacher 😊

    ReplyDelete