Sunday, February 3, 2013

Dustin Prinz: The Guitar Tapping Machine

Today, I decided it was time to write about Dustin Prinz. Why? Well, because I'm having a lazy Sunday at home and something about Dustin's approach to music and life overall is so relaxed. I discovered Dustin quite a while ago, when I was looking up covers of "Feel Good Inc." (Gorillaz). It must have been the summer of 2009 when I came across it and I was honestly blown away. I didn't play guitar at the time but was immediately magnetised by his approach. He didn't play by the rules but rather played a rhythmic, bass-driven guitar to accompany his versatile voice. What I admired most about him was how he could maintain a rhythm while covering the top of the song. Have a listen and see what I mean. It's almost like there's more than one guitar in play.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGIW21X-KHY


I obviously subscribed to his channel immediately (as should you) and kept up to date with his covers. It was in late 2010 that he really caught my attention again when he covered "Little Lion Man" (Mumford & Sons) and I noticed a grungier side of him coming to the surface (evident through his facial hair and chill approach. But, despite the grungy, relaxed appearance he could still play a song like a drum machine. I got so intrigued that I looked up his original album from 2009 called "Learning To Love Yourself". It's a really good album, to say the least and it proves how great of a songwriter Dustin is. The song that stood out to me was "I Am Alone". Listen to it now!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhlRvyg5vz4

Dustin still updates his youtube subscribers every week or so and has a ton of covers and originals you can look through. You can find him on iTunes, he has a website or you can even like his Facebook page (Dustin Prinz Music). He's from Oklahoma City and enjoys "Running, eating healthy, playing my guitar, learning something new, being outside, hanging out with good people" according to Facebook. I'm not sure how old he is but that's definitely something I've been curious about. Anyways, check him out! He also released an album in 2010 called "Drugs", that is far more intricate but equally, if not more addictive. Almost like Pink Floyd in an acoustic guitar. I don't know who to compare him to really. Sometimes he's as smooth as a soul singer and other times he reminds me of Jim Morrison at his roughest. Decide for yourself. Check him out now!


Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment