Wednesday, February 27, 2013

JD Eicher & The Goodnights: Up & Coming Indie Band

Well, it's my last night in Naples and I've been playing a lot of Led Zeppelin tracks on my acoustic. Despite the scratches I managed to get on the back of my guitar during my trip, the sound that emits from it when I tune into D-A-D-G-A-D is phenomenal. Alternate tunings have always been a fascination of mine and they don't just change the way you play things or the sound but the vibrations from the guitar. Well, to cut this musing short, I was playing "Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin), while looking out onto the sea here in Naples, as well as Mt. Vesuvius in the distance and remembered a great cover I came across a couple days ago. An unplugged version of the song by JD Eicher on his 12 string guitar found me flabbergasted. I've been thinking about purchasing a 12-string, and his cover is an additional nudge towards it.

I find that when artists talk before they start playing, expectations begin to build up one's mind. And from the way JD Eicher spoke before breaking into Page's rhythmical guitar part, I just knew it was going to be brilliant. What I didn't expect was the sweet, harmonic voice that came out of him. It almost doesn't match his appearance, which is almost reminiscent of Flight Of The Conchords in this particular cover. In any case, his cover is absolutely brilliant and the tone of his 12 string tuned into D-A-D-G-A-D is magnificent. I'm guessing it's a Taylor, but I could be terribly mistaken. Have a listen and get lost in the trance of Zeppelin's melodic anthem as performed by JD Eicher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSwvDNzeCb8

Fantastic cover, and it's not the only fantastic cover he does. He uploaded a cover of "Here Comes The Sun" (The Beatles), some time in the summer of 2012, and although his voice is much different than that of the peaceful warrior, George Harrison, he adds his own twist to it. Needless to say, he leaves the guitar part alone and almost whispers the lyrics, which adds to the meaning. To me, it sounded like a cover that someone like Damien Rice might do. So, if you're a Damien Rice fan, and you like that sort of thing, you'll love this! Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEjDAQIJ1ro

I really appreciate it when I find guys doing great youtube covers, as well as originals. It seems that the vast majority of youtube artists (that are easily accessible) are women. I don't know if it's because men don't feel like uploading stuff, because men don't work as hard at music or because men tend to click on females covers more (which is a popular theory). I usually find male covers hidden beneath the masses of female covers (with the very rare exception). I personally feel that certain female youtube artists give in to the attention they're getting from strange men commenting on, and viewing their videos. It's a shame that this seems to happen but it gives me all the more respect for artists such as Orla Gartland, who truly does what she feels is right, and NOT what other people want/think/expect.

Anyways, back to the fabulous JD Eicher, after my "brief" rant on Sexism & Youtube. I'm really happy I came across him doing that Led Zep. cover, as well as his "Here Comes The Sun" cover, but I'm even more thrilled that I found another great original artist roaming around youtube. JD Eicher and his band, The Goodnights, have a bunch of great originals that ooze with the sound of singer/songwriter meets pop/rock band. What's most curious is how JD Eicher sounds when singing originals. He's American but I could swear he was British, or even Irish when listening to their promotional video. Let me tell you, if you like U2, or Bruce Springsteen, or even some light singer/songwriters, you should definitely get into their originals. It's as if U2, Bruce Springsteen and Damien Rice got together and had a "baby". Check out their promotional video, featuring their song "The Beauty Of It All" and check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQqm1-TML4

Alex Hamel


No comments:

Post a Comment