Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Julia Nunes: Youtube's Sunshine

Julia Nunes might be one of the most successful Youtube artists I've come across, and chances are you know her (if you roam random youtube channels late at night looking for great covers). I actually got criticised a couple days ago for writing about Christina Grimmie because she is not "underground". Well, honestly, if someone started on youtube they didn't start from the highest point, they started working upwards and some succeed tremendously. If you are one of those fantastic success stories such as Christina Grimmie, or Julia Nunes, good for you! Not only are you a part of Youtube's vast collection of amazing artists but you are an inspiration and a motivator for everyone else. That is why I am not leaving out the most "successful" artists or the least viewed artists. If you play music, you're an artist, the rest doesn't matter as much as that fact. It shouldn't, really.

Anyways, back to the beautifully fantastic Julia Nunes! I came across her a couple years ago on youtube doing a cover of "Build Me Up, Buttercup" (The Foundations). I clearly remember watching her start off and thinking "Hm, this is alright." and about half a minute later I thought "This is great." Just as she builds up to the chorus I'm thinking "This girl is just fantastic." Of course, after that, not only am I loving the sound but I'm smiling. Julia Nunes is the most uplifting, motivating, hilarious artist I've come across on youtube. Not matter what, she'll put a smile on my face and I'd bet good money that she'd do the same for you. I must note, her friends who randomly appear in her videos from time to time also seem to be infectiously funny and just as loveable as Julia! Listen to "Build Me Up Buttercup" and feel better about life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeP1Klmk0ng

She seems to be the kind of person everyone wishes they had in their life. She's a ray of sunshine and she shines even more the minute she starts singing. Her youtube collection is priceless and if you want to feel better, or just listen to a great sounding voice, I urge you to go through it. For anyone who doesn't know me, let me say that I'm a massive 'Dion & The Belmonts' fan and I'm so glad she made the song hers with a fantastic Youtube cover. I'm no musical genius but I know that she makes me feel great with her funky voice! Listen to "Run Around Sue" (Dion & The Belmonts) covered by Julia Nunes now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHhMbMdYjXE

Now, she's not only a genius at covering other people's songs but she's a songwriting genius. Her original stuff blows me away and I love it! There's not much "scientific basis" for what I'm saying but really, who cares? If you've checked her out, you already know she's phenomenal and that she can make you smile, so what are you waiting for? Listen to one of her older originals called "Into The Sunshine", subscribe to her youtube channel if you haven't done so already, and check her out on Facebook! Check back tomorrow for another inspirational youtube artist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk5L0-SIceg

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment