Saturday, February 9, 2013

Juliana Richer Daily: The Sound Of Emotion

Some people don't sing well, some people sing well and some people sing their heart out. Juliana falls into the third category. Whenever I find myself listening to one of her songs, or one of her covers, I can't listen to it once. I have to listen to it again and again because I feel like her soul is flowing on the notes she sings. I honestly love her. She's one of the people who do the word "artist" justice.

I came across her on youtube in the summer of 2011. I had just gotten into the Fleet Foxes and discovered they had a song called "Mykonos" (coincidentally where I grew up). I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it before and started looking up covers on youtube. And that's where I found Juliana making musical love with her keyboard. It's just as good as the original and it overflows with emotion. Check it out. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS3vdIMekCE

Fantastic, right? She can be delicate, she can be strong and she lets the song guide her, rather than guiding the songs herself. It's so great when an artist gets out of the way of the music and just lets the song do the "talking". So, I obviously went through her collection of covers and originals at the time, as  I'm doing today and can honestly say that there isn't a video I don't like. There's a cover by Juliana and The Doyle Brothers that blew me away though. I thought I'd heard too many "Grenade" (Bruno Mars) covers but this one stands out so much. It's funny to watch too. The Doyle Brothers' "Yeah Yeah Yeah"'s remind me of the Backstreet Boys but, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlqhTlH12Qs

Quite a fun cover. I really had trouble choosing what other cover to bring up. She's got "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" (Bob Dylan) and "Santeria" (Sublime), which are also two personal favourites. But "Grenade" sounded so fantastic I thought you had to hear it. Hopefully you check out all her videos, as I have. Now, regarding her originals. They're all fantastic in my mind but you're going to have to figure that out for yourself. She uploaded a video about ten or eleven days ago called "If I Had A Boat" and I personally love it. It's hard to avoid getting caught up in the melody and rhythm of the song, but luckily Juliana has the lyrics written below the video, so you can really see what a piece of poetry it is. Brilliant really. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KVAxbe6vzY

Well, thats Juliana. Make sure you subscribe to her youtube (julianaeverday) and check her out on Facebook or her website. You can buy her music online if you want to or you can just enjoy the wonders she uploads to youtube. She seems to be a pretty cool person, so I urge you to read about her on Facebook or her website. I'm glad I'm one of her devoted listeners.

Alex Hamel

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Juliana is really really good! 8) I'm glad she has found such a solid following on YouTube (more than 38,000 subscribers and almost 9,000,000 video views); she deserves that, and more... Thank you for introducing her - now I've already subscribed to her channel and bought the downloadable single with that new original song :D

    ReplyDelete