Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Lizzie Tupman: The Pixie With A Guitar

I woke up today at about three in the afternoon and decided to listen to that great punk track by the Buzzcocks called "Ever Fallen In Love". As always, I thought "I wonder if I can cover this." I looked up a couple acoustic covers on youtube and came across a girl that looked to me like a pixie. I was pleasantly surprised that she played the acoustic guitar like a punk rocker. As I listened to the first few scratchy chords she strummed, I looked around the background to notice a Green Day poster on the wall, amongst others, and a bunch of books on the shelf of a desk (looking somewhat dusty). Lizzie's voice came in before I knew it and I thought to myself "Her tone sounds like Amy Winehouse gone punk!" I later found she had done a cover of "Valerie" with some guy, that was also quite good. But, I liked the Buzzcocks cover more, so you should listen to it now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf9u5k1nwZc

Wasn't that great? So, as I looked through a bunch of her covers, I saw she had covered Lionel Richie's "Hello", which always cracked me up. I could never take the song seriously and thought "This'll be funny!" I listened to her for a while and was shocked. I don't know how I missed what a good song it is. I don't know how you feel about the song but you should listen to her cover of it and see what you think. I think Lionel Richie should have made it an acoustic song originally, after seeing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ld6HWrzrbE

You probably noticed Lizzie's hair isn't as consistent as the great sound of her covers. Always changing colours, like moods I guess. I like it anyways. I listened to a bunch of her originals and was most captured by a song called "If Looks Could Kill Murder Would Be Easy". It sounds like something Tarantino would stick in one of his films, doesn't it? Lizzie usually offers a little explanation of her songs under the video but this one didn't have one, which is probably why I liked it most. The inspiration is mysterious. Enjoy it for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqJKXmIOnqM

Different hair yet again, but same great sound. I'm glad I discovered Lizzie and subscribed to her channel (lizzietupman) and checked out her Facebook page. All you need to do is look up her name and maybe you'll find more than I have. She seems great!


© Alex Hamel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex great blog - please will you add a follow by email button to alert people to new posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tony! Greatly appreciated that people are reading up on, and appreciating these artists! Button added. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete