Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mike Massé's Vocal Acrobatics

It must have been around March, 2011. I was trying to decide what cover to do at one of my gigs and thought that the song "Pride" (U2) would be nice. So, I looked up a bunch of youtube covers to get some ideas and came across Mike Massé playing acoustic guitar and singing, accompanied by Jeff Hall on bass and The Phil on electric guitar. I clicked the video to start playing and waked across the room to get something. I distinctly remember this. I heard the song start out, guitar nearly identical and thought "Ah, well, The Phil must have studied The Edge's guitar settings." Then, Mike's voice boomed in and I was sure that it was the actual recording, without drums. It sounded identical. I returned to my laptop, looked at the three of them playing and was just confused. What do you think?


So, after checking out another U2 cover of theirs (I can't recall which one), I discovered a cover of "Africa" (Toto). I was curious how they were going to manage to pin down those vocal harmonies and rhythmic guitar. Well, I was stunned! I must have watched that video a couple times a day for a week. I sent it to everyone I knew saying stuff like "Can you believe this?" It was like watching a gymnast do the most fantastic acrobatics. Funnily enough, I didn't subscribe to his youtube channel because I remembered his name and looked him up from time to time. I only realised that I hadn't subscribed a little while ago and subscribed.

I honestly didn't know much about him, since there wasn't much information on his Facebook page or website but some time this past summer I found out a little more about him and it was quite touching. His one year old son was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour and Mike reached out to the universe via youtube, with a cover of the Beatles' "Let It Be". I urge you to watch this. Things are going better with his son Noah now, from what I can tell on his Facebook page.


Well, he has a couple original songs on youtube. I wish he had more because they are great. The song that stood out to me is called "Sarah", a song he wrote in 1993 about a girl he met in college. I can just hear the Beatles' influence in this song. It's fantastic.


I'm certainly enjoying writing about all these talented youtubers every day. Thanks for reading and don't forget to check out Mike Massé.

Alex Hamel



2 comments:

  1. Mike is fantastic indeed!
    With his talent he should be a world famous musician, not a lawyer. Not that there's anything wrong with being a lawyer, but yeah... you know what I mean. :P

    Thanks for writing about him, Alex. :)

    I have an idea for someone else you could write about, but I'll go send it to you by e-mail. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I actually didn't know he was a lawyer. Interesting! Thanks for that. Yeah, definitely send me any idea you have! My e-mail is infinite_freedom@live.com

      Delete