Saturday, May 11, 2013

Toree & Ben : The 100th Artist Featured on YUMC

Well, first off, I'd like to thank everyone who has been reading the blog and am happy to announce that Toree and Ben are the 100th artist featured on the blog. Some days are hard, some days are incredibly easy, but I'm so happy that I continue to find incredible musical talent on Youtube every day. I came across Toree and Ben quite some time ago but wanted to save her for a special post, because she really sings her heart out. I first found her doing a cover of Janis Joplin's "Piece Of My Heart," alongside an incredible guitarist called Ben Cooper. So, here's to Youtube's Underground Music Scene reaching 100 incredible artist, with this incredible cover! Enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2kYh9bXqNU

Gives me chills every time I hear it. Toree McGee calls herself a "jack of all trades" on her Facebook page and I wouldn't venture to disagree with her. Her vocals are so clear and accurate, and if you check out her other videos, you'll hear how much variety she's got. I mean, she's got a deep soulful side to her, but she nails those high, edgy notes seemingly effortlessly. It's a beautiful thing to watch, especially alongside a guitarist as talented as Ben Cooper. I can definitely hear some Hendrix influence in there.

So, you must have loved that cover. If you did as much as I do, make sure you subscribe to her Youtube Channel and "like" her Facebook page, which is written up underneath most of her videos. A video that I really dug was also done alongside Ben Cooper. "Dream On" by Aerosmith, a song that I personally fell in love with during my first of University, back in London. The song came on in a Youtube playlist I was listening to, while writing an essay at about 4:30 AM. With the rays of sun creeping over into London that morning, I must have listened to the legendary rock anthem a hundred times. Toree once again, nails this one, gliding along Ben's sweet guitar playing. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icvRO1dI17Y

Incredible stuff. What I can't help noticing is that Toree and Ben's cover has less views than mine, though theirs is technically way above what I did. It just goes to show that views aren't everything. Sometimes a person with one thousand views, or even five views, is so much more electrifying than another with one million views! But in this day and age, if you look something hard enough, you'll find it and equally, if you want to get your sound out there, you can do it. Look at how many Youtube artists have done so. Anyways, that was an incredible cover, I hope you agree.

Now, while I usually write about one cover around this time, today, I'm going to feature another cover of Ben and Toree's. That's not to say they don't have originals, but to say that their covers are so great, I just can't get enough of them. Their cover of "Welcome To The Jungle" (Guns n Roses), seems such an appropriate song for the amount of incredible artists on Youtube. So, welcome to the jungle, and check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK3matl8XBY

Alex Hamel


No comments:

Post a Comment