Monday, May 6, 2013

Terra Naomi : Passion & Talent Infused

Good week to all you readers out there! Today I was messin' about with a couple Sublime songs and decided to look up some covers of "Santeria". I'd done it before but I must have forgotten Terra Naomi, who does a fantastic, lively version of the Sublime classic. With a smooth, jazzy voice, she's backed up by some extremely talented friends. It's an unplugged session that you've got to see and look out for all the quirkiness in this brilliant group. Here's to Sublime and a great cover of "Santeria!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2lC_ksAqU

Great stuff! They blend together like a tasty recipe. I was actually trying to figure out what she seems to be drinking at the start of the video. I think it's Baileys, which used to be my favourite drink. Anyways, what more can I say? These guys did the song justice and that solo was done so eloquently on that acoustic guitar. Brilliant tone, brilliant sound, great beat, jazzy voice. They've got it all.

Now, don't make the same mistake as me. I realised that I never clicked "Subscribe" when I came across Terra Naomi last time. So, make sure you subscribe and if you feel like it "like" the Facebook page too. All you've got to do is look up "Terra Naomi." She's got a bunch of great covers, including one of "Red Dirt Girl" (Emmylou Harris). Emmylou is a personal favourite of mine in the country genre and the song fits Terra Naomi like a glove. Have a listen to this stunning cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mot2GR-XUp0

Really love that. Something so calming about that melody yet those lyrics can pull you real deep. And I think it was great that she gave that introduction, discussing the song briefly. It just made it so much more personal than just running into the song (as I do most of the time). I actually got a real feel of a Rolling Stones' acoustic guitar in there but that's probably because they're so incredibly influenced by country. In any case, what a great cover. It's great when I come across such gems.

Now, I was surprised to see that Terra Naomi's got more views on some of her originals than her covers. Really a breath of fresh air since most Youtubers tend to focus on the covers and push originals aside. An incredibly successful original of hers is entitled "Say It's Possible". Infused with passion, a unique voice and an energy that reaches into the listener's heart, this song is the kind of thing I could listen to again and again. So, seriously, check this one out. She's incredible. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHyRI9_NB4

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment