Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ainjel Emme : Magical Voice & Beautiful Mind

I hope all you readers are having a great day today and I'd just like to thank you for reading and supporting Youtube's artists. It occurred to me last night that I'd never looked up covers of "Wicked Game" (Chris Isaak). I always felt that Chris Isaak was tremendously underrated, but that "Wicked Game" was not fully representative of what he does. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful song and I came across a stunning cover by a girl called Ainjel Emme. This girl's guitar tone was just stunning and her voice gave me goosebumps. I won't go on about it and tease you. Here's the link, so listen for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtNdXzc1_U

Incredible, isn't it? Though I don't come across it often I love the sound of a well balanced electric guitar against a voice, and a female voice at that. In contrast to the original, empowered by Chris Isaak's booming voice, Ainjel infuses the song with a Lana del Rey like vocal. Of course, Lana del Rey wasn't big at the time of this cover, so Ainjel's drawing her influence from somewhere else. Overall, there's a haunting, yet sweet, familiar sound to her that I think is incredible.

So, as always, I'm going to advise you to subscribe to Ainjel's Youtube channel. However, if you're not convinced that she's fantastic yet, just give her another chance with another of hers. And may I just say aside from her covers, she's got some fabulous originals, that I'll get to later. Right, so the cover I wanted to share with you is of the Beatles' anthem "All You Need Is Love". This Lennon empowered track is covered brilliantly but Ainjel and her friends in the most hippie like fashion. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_oV_EVt2k

Great stuff! I've got to say whoever filmed that must have had a hard time trying to get everyone equally. It just seems like they all had a great time and that's what makes this cover so good. I can't imagine how they managed to pull this off because according to Ainjel they didn't really rehearse it. I mean, I never rehearse anything myself and nor did I rehearse much when I was in a duo, but with so many people I guess you have to base it purely on emotion and connection. That's why I really felt this was an honest and fantastic cover.

Now, regarding her originals which I brought up earlier, I came across a song of hers entitled "Straight To Hell". With a name like that you'd expect some real heavy guitar and incredibly depressing lyrics. However, the song rings in a bright acoustic guitar and a Stevie Nicks like vocal. And accompanied by a smooth voiced man, I really feel that any Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks fan has to listen to this. Incredible track. So, please do subscribe to Ainjel's channel and feel free to "like" her Facebook page which you can find by looking up her name. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lMKACUukI

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment