Friday, May 3, 2013

Monicka Hove : Subtle, Gentle Essence

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel like nothing is going the way you want it to? Well, today was one of those days for me. Troubles at work, my laptop's been crashing and it looks like I'll have to get a new one, somehow, and above all I'm having trouble scrapping together money to move back to London. Well, what I'm getting to with all this is that, despite all that, I sat down to play some guitar and found myself strumming the chords to "Black" (Pearl Jam). I guess something about my emotions led me to it and I decided to cover it. And, of course, I looked up some covers of the song. And in that search I came across Monicka's laid back, sentimental approach to the song that I really loved. Have a listen.


Stunning cover of a timeless song full of soul. Though no one can do it like Eddie Vedder, I loved the fact that Monicka poured her heart and soul into it. Her voice is smooth and subtle, unlike Vedder's strong and echoing voice but hearing things from a different perspective is always great. What made me laugh was how fast she seemed to click out of the feeling of the song when she finished. Nevertheless, great cover.

So, I obviously subscribed to Monicka's channel and urge you to do the same if you liked that cover. She's got a bunch of others, as well as some good originals. Another cover that I really liked was of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide". Monicka fingerpicks the guitar gently as she her breathy voice compliments the whole aura of the song. Once again, ever so subtle and easy to listen to. Check it out.


Love it. Though Monicka's tone is so gentle there's a very particular, wise sound to her voice. I'm sure you get what I mean. And, I've got to say that I love her song choices. Some people just cover anything, but Monicka really picks her covers carefully. You'll see what I mean if you go through the rest of her covers. But let's get to her originals now. The most important part.

She's got a bunch that you can listen to on her channel but I really think you should listen to a song called "Take Me Home". I really wish she could get herself into a studio with a good producer for this one. It sounds brilliant but I can only imagine what it would sound like at top quality (such as Alex G.'s videos). This brings me back to what I was talking about yesterday. Artists who manage to get into studios and really manage to get the best quality are so incredibly lucky. I mean, I've recorded three songs in a studio but I've come across artists who deserve it so much more than me. So, it's ever so important to support the good ones. And Monicka is definitely a good one. Listening to this beautiful song of hers. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.


Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment