Thursday, May 23, 2013

Jeremy Williams : Why Hadn't I Found This Guy Yet? Incredible!

It's a sunny afternoon here in Mykonos and it's that time of week! I began surfing across Youtube's waves keeping my ears open, looking for another fantastic artist to add to our collection. After about twenty minutes, I came across something incredible. I just couldn't believe I hadn't written about this guy yet and got right on it. He's got a lot of incredible covers, as well as a good amount of stunning originals, that I'll share with you a little later. Let me share the first video I came across. It's a cover of Coldplay's "Yellow," and although I'm not a big fan of the band, I have to admit, Jeremy did this song more than justice in that incredible alternate tuning. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE6bhqkhqao

Beautiful, isn't it? I actually like it more than in that alternate tuning, and admit, I have never tried it before, but I'll be re-tuning my guitar any minute now to check that out. Aside from that great guitar sound, Jeremy's voice has such a silky, smooth texture, but also contains a very indie/alternative sound. I can definitely see similarities between his and Chris Martin's voice, though after seeing more of his covers, I've got to say, he's got a very flexible sound. I don't quite mean that he's got a massive range, but rather that he can fit his voice into any song.

So, I hope you enjoyed that, and if you did I urge you to subscribe to Jeremy's channel, and check out more of his covers as well as his originals. But, if you're not quite impressed, let me share another cover of his with you. This one is of Oasis' "Live Forever." Jeremy seems to be a big Oasis fan, as he has numerous covers, that he performs excellently. Once again, he's got that smooth sound going and actually reminds me of Noel Gallagher here (definitely not Liam.) Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQ59DjQQ0I

Great stuff. Jeremy's one of those great performers who just is. He doesn't turn on his camera and put on a whole persona or act any sort of way. He seems to be very relaxed and very real. I think that's why so many of his fans seem to appreciate him so much. Listening to the cover again, I can really say that Jeremy connects to the songs he sings and chooses them wisely. So many times, people come up to me and say "Why don't you cover this or that?", and if I say "I don't think so." they seem almost offended. Well, I only do songs that I can relate to or actually understand on a deeper level and I feel that Jeremy does exactly the same. He chooses songs that make sense to him, and I respect him for that!

Now, let's get to the important stuff, his originals. He's got a bunch, but one that stood out to me was from way back in 2007. The song is called "Hopefully" and has to do with his ex-girlfriend. It really differs from his covers in that Jeremy' personality manages to come through really clearly. On top of that, by looking back in time, you can get a look at how Jeremy has evolved over time. With that baseball cap, and that sound, I'm getting a real Jason Mraz feel here. So, I hope you enjoy it and thanks for supporting Youtube's artists! Check back next Thursday for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJY0RCQErMM

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment