Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tori Kelly : Sweet & Soulful

So, I was curious what results I would get if I searched for "Acoustic Covers" on Youtube. No specific song or artist, just acoustic covers. And between the very successful bunch of artists that came up was one I hadn't heard of before, called Tori Kelly. A cover of Justin Timberlake's "Suit & Tie" was what I listened to. I enjoyed it but since I'm not too familiar with the song yet, I wasn't too sure what to think. Considering what a great influence Michael Jackson was to Justin Timberlake, I decided to look up M.J. covers. Anyone who knows me personally or has seen me perform, knows how much I love and respect Michael Jackson and his work. The first song I decided to look up was "P.Y.T." of his masterpiece album "Thriller", released in 1982. Now, here's the funny part. The first result to appear was by Tori Kelly. Now, I knew I had to write about this.

Not only was that a fantastic coincidence but I was really able to appreciate Tori Kelly. After hearing her cover of "P.Y.T." I realised what a phenomenal singer she is. I also have to say I respect how she got that funky melody line down on an acoustic guitar. The dynamics of the cover are great going from gentle and relaxed to strong and controlled. There is a great balance of elements in the cover, and a fantastic sound quality for all to enjoy. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTHO6IX3Tp8

Beautifully done. I bet Michael Jackson would have loved it, considering what a perfectionist he was. I guess now that you listened to that (and subscribed to her channel), you should also check out her cover of Justin Timberlake's "Suit & Tie". Once again she's converted a R&B song to a smooth acoustic tune for all to enjoy. It almost sounds better stripped down and raw. I guess that's why a good deal of people enjoy listening to artists' demos, after listening to the "real thing". Anyways, enough with my rambling. Enjoy this soulful cover and look out for a hint of an old J.T hit toward the end of the song, as well as a special announcement afterwards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_3hKVxOcRI

Great cover and I would definitely love to see her do a live show. I'm sure her shows are going to be great and if any of you can make it, you should definitely do it! Just think of all the massively successful artists out there today and imagine what it would have been like to be at one of their earlier gigs, rather than arena sized concerts. Support every good artist, successful, somewhat successful or not successful at all! You won't regret it.

Now, obviously to call yourself an artist means you've got to have some original stuff out there. Otherwise you're just a cover artist. I actually know a couple people who call themselves artists, despite the fact that they don't play anywhere or release any originals/covers. Tori is not one of these people. For one, I do not know her (unfortunately), and she's got some stunning original material. One of them is called "All In My Head" and truly crosses genres. A stripped down performance, shot and edited by the very talented Andrew Rose showcases Tori's songwriting talent and soulful voice. Reminiscent of R&B icons of the past decade, Tori's definitely one to look out for! Make sure you stay up to date on her website or her Facebook page. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTrb92wmLTU

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment