Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Hilary Grist : Restrained Emotion & Gentle Touch

I really have to thank my friend Matt for this one. When asking him to have a listen to my recent experimental demo last night, he sent me an original of Hilary's called "Swallow Me Up". I answered back saying "I hope you're not trying to tell me something with this." I can't bare but give into my dirty mind, but anyways, I listened to Hilary and loved it. She's got a real gentle voice and fine musical skill, that I'm sure took years of practice. She's got a certain perfection that some people strive towards for lifetimes. All the pieces fall into place with her covers and originals, and an example of such elegance and perfection is her cover of Ben E. King's classic "Stand By Me". Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whfk9LvY838

Great one. Almost meditative in her approach, and I have to give credit to Mike Southwarth for making a simple and brilliant video. I'm tempted to compare her to Sarah McLachlan with that performance, although Hilary seems to pull back with her style. By saying that I mean, she's incredibly gentle vocally, and in her playing technique. But, who am I to talk about technique? All I can say is that it's great and I like it. I certainly got a hint of Sinead O'Connor in there too.

So, now that you've heard a great cover by Hilary (and subscribed to her channel), let me tell you a little about "Swallow Me Up". If your mind is as bad as mine, you'll probably get the wrong idea about this song. But, for those of you out there suffering from dirty mindedness, let me help you out. There's nothing you can do about it, and why would you want to? It makes life more interesting. Aside from being an unintentional double entendre, the song is a perfect representation of Hilary's songwriting style and approach to performing. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp6nPuCBdGo

Love it. I am curious what the inspiration behind the song was though. What I really like about Hilary's style is that although she comes across as having a sea of emotional depth, her vocals are almost detached from the emotion. That's not to say her vocals are dry and emotionless, but rather she gives her songs a certain mystery by restraining herself from collapsing or going crazy with the song. While some artists go and "show off" what they can do with a piece of wood in their hands (guitar), or scream their lungs out, Hilary's simplicity is ever so appealing. I think when the time is right, Hilary will show off. But for now, simplicity is her key to the music.

Another original of Hilary's that I've been listen to today is called "A Little While". Almost childlike in its sound, Hilary's voice breaks the bouncy piano tone in half. Almost reminiscent of Radiohead's "No Surprises", Hilary's certainly got a very unique style about her. There's something so bittersweet about her songs, leaving a trail of mysteries in my mind. I think you're going to like this one. Don't forget to check out her Facebook for updates. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8VTiEet5I

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment