Thursday, March 14, 2013

Stewart Eastham & Day Of The Outlaw: Country Tinged, Unique Sound

I actually came across Stewart Eastham some time last year, when I was living in London. It was just another weekend of playing guitar and I was looking up covers of "Hungry Like The Wolf" (Duran Duran). Though I was never hugely into Duran Duran, I was reminded of the song the night before at the Roebuck, on Richmond Hill and decided to give it a shot myself. And that's when I came across Stewart howling and strumming his guitar like a beast! After hearing him cover it I decided against covering it myself and just forgot the song for a while.

But earlier today, I remembered the cover and went searching through Youtube to find it. It didn't take much searching, but I'm glad I remembered it. I'm just as impressed today as I was a year ago, although I might be up to covering the Duran Duran track now. It seems that Stewart is a member of a band called Day Of The Outlaw, but also works as a singer/songwriter in Nashville, TN. His band have their own youtube channel under their name, where lies the cover of "Hungry Like The Wolf, but Stewart holds his own solo channel too now. I urge you to subscribe to both and check out both on Facebook. For now check out the fantastic cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajw2WKx23tI

Mind-blowing! Some may consider this blasphemy, but I actually like the cover more than the original. It's stripped down and raw, and full of Stewart's incredible musical energy. Hopefully, while listening to that cover you had the time to subscribe to the channels and check out the two Facebook pages mentioned previously, whilst enjoying the awesomeness of the sound.

Him and the band (Day Of The Outlaw) have put together some great original stuff, that has a real kick to it! Country tinged rock with a certain depth to it that I love. The slide guitar on certain tracks is almost reminiscent of the psychedelic guitar sounds produced by David Gilmour on the Pink Floyd albums. A song of theirs that has a real catchy melody and a beautiful shot video is called "Misunderstood". Check it out and tune into the incredible slide guitar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUxX9Sfb-U

Love it! The speedy breakdown jam they put together at the end just glues the whole thing together incredibly well! If only great bands like this had the financial back up to really promote their music, we'd have a musical revolution, much like the 60's/70's. I think the world is thirsty for some great music, but enough with big words and big ideas. Let's get back to Stewart Eastham's solo career!

On his solo Youtube channel, the man has uploaded a few originals and covers, which are great! Simple guitar lines against his big voice give a dark and eery sound to his song "For All We Got And All It Means". Nevertheless, the dark feeling is broken by the bright and hopeful chorus that leads back into the dark verse. The contrast of the song in itself makes it incredibly curious, and addictive. While the verse reminds me of a certain Johnny Cash sound, the chorus breaks the hint of Cash into something incredibly unique! Check out this incredible song and look out for Stewart's upcoming solo album! Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA1ejqs2pGU

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment