Monday, March 4, 2013

Dan Henig : Unexpected Awesomeness

Dan Henig is a tremendously talented singer/songwriter. I found him on Youtube earlier today performing covers at a coffee shop. I was looking up covers of a favourite song of mine, that always seems to shake me up. Dan's cover is quite different from the original, maybe a little rougher around the edges, but I like it. Have a listen to this sweet cover!


Fantastic cover right? I bet you weren't expecting that. I must admit that it's the first time I've seen someone cover that song and truly love the effect it has on the people sitting around. Whoever recorded the scene going on did a fantastic job too. There's a man sitting in the far corner behind Dan who seems to be cracking up again and again. Maybe not what you expected him to do, or me to listen to, or me to write about, but I think it's fantastic! Well, even if you're not a fan of this (awesome) cover, Dan's got some other great covers and originals for you to check out!

Dan's got a bunch of originals uploaded to his youtube channel (Dan Henig) that are smooth, catchy and easy to listen to. One that stood out to me is called "Sparks". With his sweet and soothing voice, accompanied by a soft rock background, the song is reminiscent of John Mayer. The edgy drums and echoing guitar may remind you of U2, and Dan's words "Fade Away..." remind me of Muse's "Starlight". I love artists who seems to be a combination of others with their own unique twist. Check out Dan's track "Sparks" and feel free to voice your opinion on it.


Great stuff. It's always great find the kind of music you can have playing while doing other things, and I do mean that in a good way (I don't mean "elevator music"). I mean, there's no way you can listen to Jimmy Page do a guitar solo with Robert Plant roaring into his microphone, in the background. Chances are you'll get drawn into it and completely forget what it is you're supposed to be doing. Dan's original stuff is smooth and pleasant enough to have on while doing something else (once again, like John Mayer). I noticed a couple comments on his videos comparing him to John Mayer, and may have been swayed to compare him as well. Hopefully Dan isn't as eccentric and egotistical as John comes across though.

Nevertheless, John seems to have stumbled on something he really enjoys doing, by covering some "nasty" hip hop tunes in a smooth, acoustic way. A couple weeks ago he uploaded a cover of Ludacris' "Move Bitch". The video documents his performances of the song from a couple coffee shops and street performances. Once again, whoever recorded this, also did a phenomenal job. Well, I'm not too sure what Dan's going to do next, but I certainly want to find out! Make sure you check out his Facebook page for updates too. For now, enjoy this great cover of Ludacris' hip hop anthem. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist!


Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment