Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lauren Aquilina : Heart Of Gold

So, I was surfing across the Youtube waves this evening when I came across the lovely sounds of Lauren Aquilina. I actually came across an original of hers first, which I loved but I'll talk about later. Aside from doing the obvious and subscribing to her channel, I decided to go to an old cover of hers. Possibly the first, but I could be mistaken. It was a cover of Radiohead's "Creep", and it blew me away, despite how gently she approached the song. What I love most is the fact that there is a clear distinction between the time that she's not playing, and the time that she is playing the song. To start off she's just a girl, and the minute she touches those keys she turns into this force of nature. Like the breeze slipping through our fingers, Lauren's voice naturally slips out of her charming lips, as her fingers make love to the piano keys. Well, maybe not everyone would put it that way, but it's a damn good cover. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3spV5KaBm4

Honestly, love it! It takes on a whole different feel when it's done on keyboards. Guitars make it sound quite frustrated and edgy but the keys make it sound ever so personal and lost, really. I really think it's great and I can definitely see that the personal and lost style, is one that Lauren embraces throughout her videos. Maybe that's how her fans relate to her. Just maybe...

Well, moving along, I went through all her videos and really enjoyed everything. Unless you haven't done the same yet, I suggest you subscribe to her channel and check out her Facebook page for updates. If you're lucky you might catch her live somewhere in the U.K. this September, although her London and Leeds dates are already sold out. Just like the magnificent Orla Gartland, Lauren's got a lot of devoted listeners and she treats them right. Beyond giving them great things to listen to, she's got something to say. Here's a little vlog she put together the other day regarding her thoughts on beauty, amongst other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmc09XlXjSI

I wish more people would speak up like that. Not just the artsy types, but everyone. Because everyone has thoughts running around their head, that they're probably dying to share with the world but they bottle them up. And after all that bottling up, they need to go to a therapist or something of the sort to let it all out for a fee, when all the world wants is to hear your opinion. People may say "I don't want to hear it." but honestly, I guarantee you there is someone out there who really does want to hear it. Well there, Lauren's got me going now. If you feel the same way, please get out there and voice your opinion today. On anything that's been on your mind. I mean, we're in this thing called life together and people like Lauren really add to the unity of it all. Wish more people would speak up.

Back to the music now. The first song I heard by Lauren Aquilina is called "Wanderlust" and it's magical. The lyrics, the melody, the video...the whole aura of the thing is brilliant. What's great about it is that it's obvious that Lauren pours her actual emotions and thoughts into the song, rather than just trying to please her audience. Certain lyrics seem to ring out more than others, but for me the vocal melody is more magical than anything else. The sections of the song in which she sings, without lyrics, seem to be so raw and emotional. I love it and I know you will too! Make sure you read the information under the video too. Once again Lauren's doing something for a good cause. I'm so glad I came across this gem of an artist and will definitely be listening for what's next. Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WefROG2BGUo

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment