Friday, March 29, 2013

Miracles Of Modern Science : Band Name Says It All

Well, first of all I'd like to thank everyone who has been e-mailing me birthday wishes. But, let's get to the music. I was surfing around Youtube again today when I came across the most incredible orchestral band I've ever seen. They go by the name of Miracles Of Modern Science, and even if you hate science, you'll love them. I know I do and I only came across them a couple hours ago. They will truly blow your mind. I decided to record my own humble cover of "Pumped Up Kicks" (Foster The People) this afternoon and proceeded to check out hundreds of covers available on Youtube. From raw and stripped down performances to overloaded performances, I found all sorts. But, I didn't see or hear anything compared to what Miracles Of Modern Science did with the track. Let's see how you feel about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJEuQkw9cQ

Love it! Big band in a small room. I honestly can't imagine how much practice it took for them to get the song so tight. Whoever recorded the video/audio is a genius too. Great editing there. Evan Younger (double bass/vocals) truly took me by surprise. Rockin' the double bass while singing is definitely a challenge. Sort of reminded me of Sting rocking out there. But it could be the double bass by his side. The other members of the band are Josh Hirshfeld (mandolin, vocals), Kieran Ledwidge (violin), Geoff McDonald (cello) and the glue that puts it all together, Tyler Pines (drums). All I can say is that if you watched and listened to the whole thing, you will probably agree that there is not one weak link there. They are all extremely talented and great to watch.

I obviously subscribed to their channel, like you probably did, or are about to do, and went through the rest of their videos. I was thrilled to find a cover of the Smiths' "This Charming Man". I had a Smiths night the other night and listened to them for about four or five hours. And although Morrissey is an incredible lyricist, I always felt that its his melodically voice that drives me to listen to the Smiths again and again. So, this cover that Miracles Of Modern Science put together really showed off that melody. It's a treat to hear this 80's anthem transcribed to their instruments. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Oe-Di7lfY

Although Geoff (cello) doesn't make an appearance in the video, and there aren't any vocals, I truly appreciated the cover. Josh really shows off on the mandolin and definitely has the chops to do it. I guess when I think of rock and mandolins, I immediately think of R.E.M. but after this I'll be thinking of Miracles Of Modern Science!

Another reason I'll be thinking of Miracles Of Modern Science is because they've got some fascinating original material out there for us. They've got a great video up for one of their compositions, entitled "Eating Me Alive". They've definitely got something unique with their sound, yet are so reminiscent of sounds of the past. I could say they remind me of Foster The People, R.E.M., The Smiths, Dexys Midnight Runners, Apocalyptica and so many others. Nevertheless, what I will say, with more certainty is that these guys have got something original, great and beautiful together. They make breathtaking videos, groundbreaking sounds and they are a band I, and many others (see Youtube comments), would love to see live! Definitely a band to keep an eye out for! Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8SoWxphHc

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment