Monday, March 11, 2013

Hayley Legg : Mesmerising & Simple

Hayley Legg is an extremely successful youtube artist. Her Facebook states that she is the 11th most subscribed Australian musician of all time on Youtube, but honestly, what use are the statistics when an artist is truly talented? I was considering writing about her some time last week when she popped up in my search results, something that kept happening daily the past few days. 

I actually came across Hayley some time last year when I was looking up covers of Rod Stewart's brilliant "Maggie May". Ever since I got into Rod Stewart, I've wanted to cover "Maggie May" but somehow I always get sidetracked. And one of the ways I get sidetracked is by finding covers, such as this one by Hayley. Once I find one good cover, I need to go through each and every cover they've got uploaded to their channel. So, feel free to do that, but for now, here's her great cover of "Maggie May".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SEF8FiXzo

Just great! One of the things I love about Hayley's cover of the song is that although she has a fabulous voice, she doesn't try to show off all over the place. She keeps it straight and simple and pays respect to the original. Another things I love about Hayley's cover is that she's not forcing herself to create a false, raspy sound to copy Rod's unique voice. You wouldn't imagine how many covers there are on Youtube of people trying to mimic Rod's exact sound. It's just sad really. Why try to be someone else, when you could be doing better being you?

Anyways, let's talk about another one of Hayley's fabulous covers. She uploaded this one about a year and a half ago. It's one of those songs that I always forget but always love to hear again and again. It's Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast At Tiffany's". Once again, Hayley gives a solid performance without twisting and turning the song into something unrecognisable. Most artists feel uncomfortable giving a simple, sweet performance but those with the confidence to go through with it seem to do so well. As John Frusciante says, it's not all about what you can do with a piece of wood, or your vocal chords, it's about making music. Well, listen to this beautiful cover of "Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Haley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIO5q35JEGc

Stunning. Now, I hadn't listening to Hayley's originals until quite recently, and I was really curious what to expect. In her covers she always respected the original by following the melody in a simple manner without trying to change it. I honestly did not know what to expect from her originals. And even now that I've listened to a bunch of them, I'm a little confused where she stands, and I think that's a good thing. I can't put my finger on what's so unique about her, but I know it's there.

An original of hers that stood out to me is called "Mesmerised". The melodic guitar line, which is almost reminiscent of Green Day's "Good Riddance" twists around Hayley's voice. The lyrics hide under the honesty of Hayley's tone, yet a couple slip away. The words "You're like Jekkyl and Hyde" seem to slip away from the cover of Hayley's vocals and really pull the listener in to listen to what the lyrics are all about. It's a truly fantastic song, and I hope you let yourself get lost in the mesmerising melody Hayley created. Don't forget to subscribe to her channel and check her out on Facebook for more information on her and updates! Check back tomorrow for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43W79alGAXM

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment