Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sylwia Urban : Gilmour Girl

It's that time of the week and I've got another incredible artist for you! Earlier this afternoon I was sitting around, with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Pink Floyd) on full blast and couldn't resist to pick up my guitar and start jamming away. It's one of those tracks that lets you fly on its wings. A tribute to the legendary Syd Barrett, the song is one of the many examples of Roger Waters' writing genius and Gilmour's incredible supernatural ability to create a psychedelic aura around a song. Anyways, you know it's an amazing song, and if you don't, you should! I came across Sylwia when looking up covers of the song. I loved her, and she loves Pink Floyd! Check her out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDaaSqQfhE

Incredible stuff, right? Her tone is absolutely beautiful, as is the fluidity with which she plays. You can definitely hear Gilmour's influence in there as she stops and starts between the fluid bits, pushing those strings up into eternity. She did a great job here, though I'd be terribly intrigued to see/hear her do a full cover of the song. It's a massive song, but time seems to stop when you play it. I've listened to it many a time and thought afterwards "Where did the time go?"

So, if you loved that, you should subscribe to Sylwia's channel and check her out on Facebook too. She's got a page, that's highly under appreciated, but let's change that. She's got a bunch of great Pink Floyd guitar covers on her channel, that any guitar enthusiast should love. Another favourite of mine is off the same album as "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and is of course a song I've covered numerous times myself, "Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd. Her cover is harmonious, simple and a perfect reflection of the recording itself. It's great to sing along to, since she hasn't got any vocals on it. Have a listen and...have a sing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPxcyEHHQs

Brilliant. She does the song justice, and reinforces my desire for a Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat Acoustic. I was looking at the 12 string myself, but the 6 string sounds fantastic too. In any case, brilliant cover, and that sweet, warm tone of her Stratocaster just pulls it altogether. Though, the lack of vocals make me wonder what her voice is like. "Wish You Were Here" is such an honest song that it doesn't take a fabulous voice to bring it to life. I think Sylwia might sound incredible singing the song that everybody loves.

Now, although I tend to bring up an original of the artist's at this point, I didn't find any originals of hers on her Youtube channel. She might have a couple hiding here and there, but they're not on Youtube. But, what I will share with you is another Pink Floyd cover, since I'm enjoying it so much. This one isn't off the "Wish You Were Here" album, but off the 1980 masterpiece that is "The Wall." Just a reminder, Roger Waters is currently on tour doing this one, so if you can catch, please do. He's an incredible man, and Sylwia is an incredible girl, with her mouth watering solo cover of "Comfortably Numb." So, enjoy this and thanks for supporting Youtube's artists! You rock! Check back next Thursday for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvQevEuymU

Alex Hamel

No comments:

Post a Comment