Thursday, July 18, 2013

Nadya Buga : Diverse & Original

It's that time of the week and I've got another fantastic artist for you. I came across this one via Daisy Howard, who liked her cover of "Heart Shaped Box" (Nirvana) a couple days ago and proceeded to do her own cover of Nirvana's masterpiece. I covered the song myself a year or two ago, thought I'm considering re-doing it. It's one of those songs that is ever so magical, and though there a lot of people who feel the song is "overplayed", I defend it the way I always do. It's overplayed for a reason! In any case, there are a bunch of fantastic covers available online including Daisy Howard's, but for now check out Nadya's eery yet stunning cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frl2Va1vks8

Beautiful, isn't it? She's got a deep, full sound to her voice, yet she hits those high notes ever so gracefully. There's an almost Amy Lee quality to her voice, yet combined with a nearly jazzy tone that just adds to "Heart Shaped Box", a song that seems to be fantastic in any form. Her light, scratchy guitar playing compliments her round voice fantastically. Many Cobain fanatics would point out that "That's not how Cobain would do it!" but any Nirvana lover would know that the more variety in Nirvana's song covers, the better!

Now, if you liked that, make sure you subscribe to Nadya's channel. If not, trust me, Nadya's a fantastically diverse musician. Unfortunately, I haven't come across any originals of hers, but, her variety of covers really got to me. This next cover is of Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why". I've grown to love the song but must admit I didn't used to since my mom played it at home every single day. In any case, great song and a great cover of it. Have a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWxUAEAeeJg

Stunningly diverse voice there. Seems almost like a different person from "Heart Shaped Box", yet she makes it her own, taking on a softer version of the voice heard in the previous cover. She definitely resembles Norah Jones in this one, yet maintains the originality of her own style. Gentle guitar plucking makes for a perfect combination against her soothing, soulful voice.

Still not convinced? Well, I was surprised when I saw that she covered this song, but once again, she did it in her own, unique way. I think I actually like the song more this way (not that I listened to it all that much, or at all, before). You've got no idea what I'm talking about soon enough. In any case, enjoy, and thanks for supporting Youtube's artists. Check back next Thursday for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88uTo6FkvM


Alex Hamel

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm happy to see you write about someone that (totally undeservedly) has just 234 subscriptions on YouTube :)

    Yeah, I know, I know - I remember you said "It doesn't matter how popular someone is - they are either good, or they aren't". And I agree.

    Yet, you must admit people like this extremely talented lady (and also like my favorites Molly and HJT :P) - great young musicians, yet underrated and by far not as well known as they deserve, need the help and promotion from good blog posts much more than popular artists like Christina Grimmie, Alex Goot and Maddy Bailey :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadya Buga voice is so captivatingly beautiful. She can sound sultry and sexual with her lower tones in her voice and then turn angelic as she hits the higher notes. A rare beauty indeed. A Mona Lisa beauty with an angelic voice. Nadya needs to be shared with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete