Thursday, June 20, 2013

Evan McHugh : Delicate, Stunning Little Ditties

It's that time of week, and I've got another fantastic Youtube artist for you! I came across this guy earlier today when looking up covers of Oasis' "Don't Look Back In Anger." I've been going through an Oasis thing this past week, and although I used to really admire Noel Gallagher and dislike Liam Gallagher, I've found that the feelings have changed now. Ever since I saw Noel Gallagher put down Kurt Cobain in an interview, ever so disrespectfully, I got turned off his personality. However, Liam's "Whatever" approach to everything, seems almost comical to me. He's a cartoon, a caricature, which makes for a fabulous rock n' roller, who genuinely doesn't care. I wonder how "Don't Look Back In Anger" would sound with his vocal on it. I guess we'll never know. However, Evan's cover is smooth, soulful, and I know you'll love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZfpiqwv8A

Brilliant, isn't it? Evan's crooner like cover really takes the song into a different dimension, allowing the listener to stand back and really take in those lyrics that Noel beautifully crafted (despite his disrespectful Cobain comment). It's definitely not what I was looking for, but I guess fate brought me his way. It's almost as if Jason Mraz decided to cover the song. I didn't imagine it would sound this good with that style, but I was wrong, it's great!

So, if you loved that cover, make sure you subscribe to Evan's Youtube channel, and "like" his Facebook page, which recently surpassed 1000! He's got a bunch of a stunning little covers on his channel, as well as some great originals, which you can check out on his album "The World Will Move Along" (available on iTunes). Another cover of his that caught my ear, because is suited him perfectly was of Burt Bacharach's "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head." Have a listen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZDqEy9CqM

He really does that song justice! Some songs just suit people like a glove and that is definitely one for Evan! The sound of the ukulele also compliments his voice beautifully. Quite different from my rather dynamic style of singing, he treats his voice like a finely tuned instrument that's as delicate as a feather. It's great that there are some many different sounds in the sea of artists, and that the each can appreciate the other!

Now, regarding his originals, I actually like them more than his covers. One that really grabbed me is called "I Want You More." It still holds that delicate, jazzy style of his but incorporates an almost Tom Waits - like melody. If you've ever listened to "Chocolate Jesus", you know what I mean. In any case, this original's a treat and I'm definite you'll enjoy it! Thanks again for supporting Youtube's artists! Check back next Thursday for another fantastic artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndfE39slFVg


Alex Hamel

1 comment:

  1. You have discovered one of my own great YouTube "discoveries" (which, of course are much fewer than yours, as I don't have much time to browse YouTube for new artists...) and Evan is indeed a hidden gem. ^_^ My favorite original song of his is "Tell Me It's Lovely", but "I Want You More" is great too, it's my 2nd favorite :D

    An interesting fact is that his brother Collin McHugh is a talented young pitcher, who has played in MLB for the New York Mets and who yesterday got traded to the Colorado Rockies. He is not a very famous baseball player (except maybe for Mets fans, and now Rockies fans too), but he is still more famous than his brother - at least he has a Wikipedia article about him. :P I hope one day soon Evan becomes (through his music) the more famous of the 2 brothers... or at least - that his music is heard and appreciated by enough people that he earns the right to have his own Wikipedia article too. :)

    I also have a dream - a duet of Juliana Richer Daily with Evan McHugh. AFAIK they both live in Nashville right now, so it wouldn't be so difficult, would it... ;) And I believe their voices will be a great match - a rich alto voice with a thinner tenor voice usually are. The other way round usually isn't such a good idea - a rich bass/baritone voice singing duets with a thin childish soprano is... well, weird (check former YouTube a-cappella project CookiePine to hear what I mean LOL)...

    But I digress again... Thank you for finding Evan and writing about him. :)

    ReplyDelete